01/02/2012

DC announces Watchmen prequels. Mixed feelings arise.

So after a lot of rumours DC Comics has finally confirmed a series of Watchmen prequels for this year. According to The Source the series will consist of:

-      RORSCHACH (4 issues) – Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: Lee Bermejo
-      MINUTEMEN (6 issues) – Writer/Artist: Darwyn Cooke
-      COMEDIAN (6 issues) – Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: J.G. Jones
-      DR. MANHATTAN (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artist:  Adam Hughes
-      NITE OWL (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artists: Andy and Joe Kubert
-      OZYMANDIAS (6 issues) – Writer: Len Wein. Artist: Jae Lee
-      SILK SPECTRE (4 issues) – Writer: Darwyn Cooke. Artist: Amanda Conner

Also the announcement states that:
Each week, a new issue will be released, and will feature a two-page back-up story called CURSE OF THE CRIMSON CORSAIR, written by original series editor Len Wein and with art by original series colorist John Higgins. There will also be a single issue, BEFORE WATCHMEN: EPILOGUE, featuring the work of various writers and artists, and a CRIMSON CORSAIR story by Wein and Higgins.



I... don't know what to think about this. Maybe it is because Watchmen is a masterpiece on its own. It has stood for 25 years as a reference and a must-read for comic fans. Maybe because there is a small part of my mind that makes me cringe every time I read the word prequel. Well told, a prequel can dig further into the characters' ideas and motivations, give us an insight on how they came to be where and who they were the moment the original story began. But they can also become a screw up of biblical proportions, and then return to haunt you in 3D.

On the other hand, the choices of writers and artists are quite promising. Big names all over. I'm sort of curious about the Minutemen issues. I always wondered how they worked as a group.

Alan Moore has expressed his dislike of the idea, while Dave Gibbons wished the new stoires well. So what do you think? I just hopes it works and doesn't end up like this:

The Gutters


Bonus: Because I can't discuss Watchmen without linking this:



Via: DC Women kicking ass
Full announcement by DC
Images via whatculture.com

1 comment:

Cursed Armada said...

Hey thanks for following my blog! I like yours very much! I'm curious about these Watchmen preludes... I was a fan of the movie but I never actually read the series. I did see the "Tales of the Black Freighter" cartoon and I absolutely LOVED it! One of the most intense animated movies ever IMO... I would totally check out any comics that involve that story!

Post a Comment